Tuesday 8 May 2012

#9: A Great Joke

Has someone ever told you a joke, you think about it for half a second, and finally you understand and a light bulb goes off in your head? I have had this moment so many times. For example, today I read a limerick. It was about a poet who wrote sentences that were too long and with too many words. Everyone around me laughed when they read the limerick. I didn't understand at first how it was funny! It was off beat and it didn't rhyme properly. That's when it hit me: the last sentence was too long and with too many words. It was done on purpose.

I can also remember a few days ago when I was reading a French book called "Le Petit Nicolas Voyage", which means "The Little Nicolas Trip". It is about a young boy writing about his experiences in his life. They are very cute and funny. One joke really stood out to me. If I translate it, it went something like this:

Nicolas and his mother went to Nicolas' father's work. When they stopped by, his father's friends, the guys at the office, started asking Nicolas question. To keep it simple, Nicolas decided to answer "yes" to everything.
"Are you working hard at school?"
"Yes."
"Are you a smart boy?"
"Yes."
"Does your father do the dishes?"
"Yes."
 After the last answer, the father's friends and co-workers started laughing and teasing Nicolas' father.
"Come on Nicolas. Tell the truth," the father said.
Nicolas sighed. "OK fine. I don't work THAT hard at school."

It took me a few moments to understand, but when it clicked in my head, I loved it! What really goes on in our heads when we take those few seconds to understand the joke? Are we trying to fit together pieces of a puzzle? Are we swarmed with thoughts like a swarm of angry bees? I would really like to know!

Do you know any amazing jokes that made you think and made you smile when you heard them? I'd love to hear! An amazing joke that makes you think is magical because it makes the laughter and the smiles all the more memorable.

1 comment:

  1. I have ordered this "Le Petit Nicolas Voyage" in our library.
    I like this joke to

    ReplyDelete